Sunday, January 13, 2013

I ain't no Forrest Gump


I've always admired runners. I've always enjoyed the idea of running. I tried all through college to fall in love with running, all to no avail. I had a friend in college who ran an about 7-10 miles a day.  She ran so much her toenails fell off! And I was jealous! I wanted my toenails to fall off. 

However, every time I got out to run it only took me about... 35 seconds for me to realize I would not be going very far. Alas, my toenails have stayed intact.



I was scared of trying CrossFit for a long time because I imagined these elite athlete running miles and miles for fun. Luckily, it wasn't quite that terrible. CrossFit has definitely strengthened my endurance and the CrossFit Endurance class at my gym helped my running form. I've ran a couple of 5k's with little trouble, in fact I find them almost *gasp* enjoyable!

Thanks to my wonderful friend Christina I decided to sign up for my first 5 mile race. The annual Loop the Lake Run was yesterday. I laugh at the term 'race' because I definitely wasn't racing anyone. I will admit I didn't have the most positive attitude going into the race; I wasn't thrilled. Around mile 2 my knees started to hate me and I was pretty much over the whole 'race' thing. However, my  cheerleader/super hero friend wouldn't let me quit and slowly but surely we made it to the finish line. I'm so thankful for that lady! Also, shout out to the 100 year old man that was speed walking the entire thing for being one of the few people I managed to beat. Yes, I went that slow.

All that being said, I'm going to keep working on running... and attempting to enjoy it. However, I'm perfectly okay lifting heavy and doing burpees for the rest of my life, thank you very much :)



No comments:

Post a Comment